Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Religion is literary fiction

Definition of Fiction
- a literary work based on the imagination and not necessarily on fact .

There is no absolute proof of "divine intervention" therefore the religious texts of the Qur'an, Book of Mormon, Holy Bible are books of fiction. Plain and Simple.

Once this fact can be made clear to everyone, we can remove the idea that one religion is better than the other.

Making fiction a fact is dangerous. Perhaps the Hobbits can come out of hiding and destroy the one ring that will rule us all.

Karen Armstrong's quote below summates my ideas of religion.
People have such clear ideas of what God is — you know: creator, father, personality watching over me. It's not what I believe in, even though I like to use the word sometimes. So people will ask, "Is traditional faith wrong?" And I say, "No." It doesn't really matter what you believe as long as it leads you to practical compassion. If your belief in a traditional God makes you come out imbued with a desire to feel with your fellow human beings, to make a place for them in your heart, to work to end suffering in the world, then it's good. Nobody has the last word on God, whether they're conservative or liberals.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please pass this on to my PC MP, Maurice V. I'm not sure he gets the compassion part.

7:19 AM  
Blogger Fighting for Democracy said...

You can forward a link to my blog if you wish.

I can see that Maurice has been a small business partner/landlord. Maurice served as a pastor, a college teacher at Bethany in Hepburn, and a health care worker at Rosthern Mennonite Nursing Home and other institutions according to his bio on his website.

I haven't followed his career and I'm not sure what you mean about the compassion part.

4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home